Haleem (حلیم) is a very healthy dish, enriched with proteins and extremely delicious in taste, it is quite famous during Muharram in Pakistan also suitable for any special occasion or festival. if you’ve never tried cooking haleem before, today we are going to teach you how you can cook this amazing dish at home.
The key element in cooking haleem is slow cooking on a very light flame, the slower you cook the better the result would be. The time estimated is about 3 hours, however, if you do not achieve expected results spend a little more time and cook further.
Let’s get started.
- 1/2 cup soaked moong lentils (مونگ کی دال)
- 1/2 cup soaked red lentils (مسور کی دال)
- cup soaked gram lentils (چنے کی دال)
- 1/2 cup moong lentils with skin (چھلکے والی مونگ کی دال)
- 1 1/2 cups soaked cracked wheat
- 1/2 cup boiled rice
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Onion and oil for tempering
- Fresh coriander, green chilies, hot spices powder, fresh lemons, fresh mint leaves, and cumin for serving.
- 1kg boneless beef
- 2 tablespoon ginger/garlic paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder
- Turmeric powder according to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon hot spices powder
- Oil 1 1/2 cups
- Cook wheat in 3 cups water and 2 tablespoon oil over lower heat.
- When water started to generate bubbles add baking soda and cook until thoroughly tender.
- Cook lentils together over low heat until tender. Let it cool and then blend it in a blender.
- Cook meat/beef with all its ingredients in a pot. Fry lightly when you see water is dried out.
- Add wheat and 2 cups of hot water.
- Cook over low heat while stirring with a wooden ladle until meat is dissolved in wheat.
- Add lentils, rice, and 1 cup hot water and keep cooking on lower heat for a little while.
- When haleem is almost ready add half of the cumin, mint leaves, green chilies, fresh coriander, hot spices powder, and ginger.
- Heat oil in a frying pan for tempering, fry onions until they get brown and remove. Then pour the remaining oil into a bowl.
- Transfer haleem into a dish, serve with remaining cumin, fresh mint leaves, green chilies, coriander, ginger, fried onions, lemons, oil, and hot spices powder.
Congratulations! You successfully prepared haleem dish today for your friends or family. We hope you enjoyed cooking haleem today by following our recipe. Let us know in the comments below, how it turned out.